Tuesday 30 July 2013

The day after



Yesterday started off quite well, a massage to my sore leg left it feeling great, the thought of only 65 miles to go, the thought of being able to relax tomorrow, my exited family, all spurred me on.

Then it rained.

It continued to rain for the next three hours, whilst I toiled up and down very steep hills, the miles seeming to go by extremely slowly.  By lunchtime, I had got less than halfway.  I rang Amanda for some moral support and as usual she gee'd me up, they were almost at Penzance, getting ready to welcome me to Land's End.

Then the rain cleared, the sun came up and I had a massive ten miles downhill stretch to Penzance.  By the time I got there, it was bright blue skies, and a sign saying "Land's End 8 miles".  Nearly there.

I caught up with another cyclist, Dave from Leeds in Penzance and we cycled together.  At this stage, the wind was over 20mph and directly into our faces.  Dave suggested he cycle ahead to protect me from the wind, which was fantastic and meant we raced along to the End.

About a mile out from Land's End, Amanda and the boys, James and Ted were waiting by the roadside, on their bikes.  The four of us rode the last mile together, one final procession.  A fitting end to the adventure, as they had been the difference between success and failure.  They had remained unfailingly positive and  supportive.  Without them, it just wouldn't have been possible.

We'd made it!



1008 miles.

Over 350,000 turns of the pedals.

57,750 feet of climbs.

More than 60 litres of energy drinks.

64,000 calories burned.

At times it was very windy, at times it was oppressively hot, at times it rained heavily.  Some days were easy, some hard, but all were extremely enjoyable.



What have I learned?


  1. Scotland is very windy.
  2. People are almost universally nice, wherever you go.
  3. Nearly all drivers are considerate of cyclists.
  4. Mainland Britain is an incredibly beautiful place
  5. I have the best family in the world....



No comments:

Post a Comment