Sunday 21 July 2013

21 July


Thankfully a shorter day today, 66 miles from Beattock to Keswick.  By mutual agreement, we were up very early and left the campsite before 8am.  No one saw us leave.

This meant I was cycling at a much better time of day, with little wind and still quite cool.  I made good progress, again along a boring stretch by the side of the M74 until I got to Gretna Green, almost back into England.   I paused for a while to reflect on my time in Scotland.  Great scenery, the wind, blistering heat, no shops, miles of nothing.  Everyone I met was friendly and helpful.

Once over the border, the sun came out and I had a lovely ride down into Cumbria, along tiny single track roads, up and down hills, with great views and not a soul around.  And all before lunch on a Sunday.  

Then a long downhill into Keswick.  A great campsite here, on the banks of Derwentwater. Spent a lovely afternoon with a glass of wine and Amanda.  The boys went off climbing.  Yesterday seems such a long time ago now. 

Off down to Clitheroe tomorrow, another shorter day of less than 70 miles.

No need for a midge watch in England.

Backside still okay.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you've got your poncho for the thunder and hail storms forecast for this week!

    ReplyDelete